30 March, 2017
Curd Rice Recipe
Summers have hit us already & I am honestly dreading May. We usually make a lot of vegetarian meals during summers or stick to soups, salads and sandwiches. But this recipe of Curd Rice is one of our favourites at home irrespective of the weather. Not only is it hassle free but also a keeper for when you have a lot of left over rice.
Here is an authentic recipe of cooling Curd Rice that taste just like you get in south indian udipi restaurants. Once you have your ingredients ready, it is ready even before you know it. Give it a try & let me know how you find it.
1/4 cup Rice
1.5 cup Thick Curd
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
7-8 Curry Leaves
1-2 Dry Red Chilli
1/4 tsp Hing
1-2 Green Chilly
Fresh Coriander, a small handful
1 tsp Oil
Salt, to taste
- Wash the rice & soak it for half an hour. Boil sufficient water in a deep vessel, once it comes to a rolling boil add the rice & salt & let it cook till the rice is fully cooked. Drain & let it cool completely.
- Chop green chilli, coriander & ginger finely. Break the dry red chilli’s & remove the inside seeds.
- Whisk curd to remove any lumps & add the rice to it.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan & add urad dal to lightly brown it. Add mustard seeds, ginger, green chilli & wait till the seeds start to splutter.
- Now add the red chillies, hing & curry leaves & pour this tempering over the curd rice mixture.
- Add salt & green coriander to the curd rice & mix well.
- Serve curd rice at room temperature or chilled.
Note – You can substitute white rice with brown rice for a healthier version
In case you do try this out, please leave a comment below & share your experience with me. Happy cooking 🙂