27 September, 2017
One Pot Meal – Chicken & Veg Italian Stew with Sprig Genoa in association with BetterButter
I personally love hassle free meals, they take away half the struggle of cleaning up or concentrating on too many pans while cooking a meal. What better than a one pot meal for such times. My recipe for One Pot Meal – Chicken & Veg Italian Stew was a super hit with the fam jam. The only time you do spend on it is on the pre-prep. In case you have a food processor or chopper, then this recipe is literally a breeze. This recipe is in association with BetterButter where I also write as a food expert.
I had been meaning to try the products from Sprig from a while & when BetterButter sent Sprig Genoa to create a recipe for their, I was more than happy. Sprig Genoa is the Italian Spice Blend by Sprig that was a 7 in one blend with ingredients like herbs, onion powder, garlic powder, tomato powder & so on. Similar to Genoa, Sprig also has other spice blends & I do plan to try them eventually. However, this One Pot Meal – Chicken & Veg Italian Stew is going to be made quite often using every bit of Sprig Genoa.
One Pot Meal – Chicken & Veg Italian Stew
500gms Chicken thigh boneless, cut into 1” pieces
5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
100ml tomato puree
150ml fresh cream
1.5 tbsp Sprig Genoa (Italian 7 in 1 Spice Mix)
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp black olives
200 gms Buttom Mushrooms, halved
150gms Zucchini, sliced
Handful of Fresh Basil leaves
3 tbsp butter
2-3tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp heaped refined flour
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated + for sprinkling on top
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
- In a non-stick heavy bottomed deep pan heat 2 tsp oil & add the chicken pieces & season with salt & pepper. Stir & cook till the chicken till it sealed & lightly browned from outside. Remove on a plate & keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat some oil or butter & saute the mushrooms on a high flame without stirring till it turns light brown. Season it with salt & pepper, remove & keep aside.
- Now add sliced zucchini to the same pan & saute till it is half cooked. Season it, remove & keep aside with the mushrooms.
- Blanch the tomatoes & peel the skin of the tomatoes, cut into half & remove all the seeds. Finely chop the tomatoes & keep them ready. (This kind of tomatoes are called tomato concasse).
- Heat some butter & oil in a pan & add finely chopped garlic & onion & cook on medium flame till it turns translucent pink in colour.
- Add the tomato concasse & let it cook till it leaves oil from the sides. Add the tomato puree & cook for two more minutes.
- Now add the Sprig Genoa spice blend, salt, pepper & further cook for a minute more. Add 2.5-3 cups water & let it come to a boil. Cover & let it cook on medium flame for 20 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Taste & check for seasoning, if it is too sour then add sugar to balance the flavour.
- Add the chicken at this point & let it cook without the cover.
- While the chicken is cooking heat 1 tbsp butter & a tsp of olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the flour & cook till it turns colour to beige-blonde & leaves a fragrant aroma.
- Immediately add this roux (butter-flour mixture) to the sauce & stir to make sure no lumps are formed.
- Lower the heat & add the fresh cream & parmesan cheese. Check for seasoning.
- When the mixture has thickened a bit, add the sautéed veggies, olives, freshly torn basil leaves, & chopped parsley, mix & serve.
- Serve with dinner rolls or a crusty bread to soak up all the juices.
- You may add some dried oregano & chilli flakes for added flavour.