4 December, 2017
Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma Recipe
Breakfasts at home have meant serious business right from childhood. Being a sindhi, my breakfasts consisted of thick stuffed Paratha’s or sindhi delicacies of Koki, Dodha, Seyun Patata & so on. While they still stand strong in the list of my favourites, I cannot begin to tell you how indulgent & heavy they become. With the sedentary life patterns, Mom & I balance things out by including lighter & nutritional dishes in our breakfasts along with our occasional sindhi breakfasts. One such recipe that I personally love is this Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma to eat for breakfast or even during evenings to beat hunger pangs. This recipe of Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma or Mixed Vegetable Vermicelli Upma is packed with tons of vegetables & comes together in no time. Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma is perfect to kickstart mornings as it gives you that boost of energy & nutrition one needs to start the day.
Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma
50gms Vermicelli (seviyaan)
20gms carrots, finely chopped
40gms onion, finely chopped
20gms French beans, finely chopped
15gms capsicum, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
4-5 Curry Leaves
1 green chilli, chopped
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
5ml lime juice
- Keep some water for boiling & once it has come to a rolling boil, add vermicelli & let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the vermicelli nicely to get rid of any water & apply 2-3 drops of oil & mix with a fork.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a non-stick pan & add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add curry leaves & chopped chilli & garlic & saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onion & let it cook till it turns pinkish-translucent in colour.
- Now add the chopped carrot & French beans, mix & cover the pan for two minutes.
- Once the veggies are half cooked, add capsicum & saute for 30seconds.
- Stir in the vermicelli along with the masala’s, give it a gentle stir & cover the pan & cook for two minutes of low heat.
- Remove from heat & squeeze lime juice. Give it a gentle stir & serve immediately.
Having easy & quick recipes like this Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma comes handy during those rushed hours. It works great as an evening snack but personally I can eat it for any meal of the day. If you try this, please tag & share a picture with us.